Monday, March 15, 2010

An Armchair Trip To Deadwood


A travel'n friend of mine name Donna (Hi Donna!)took a road trip this past September. First I have to say she is an avid reader and great supporter of our local library. Donna loves to read so a bookmark is always a sure bet for her. When she returned from the trip she had many stories and treasures to share with all of us. But my favorite thing was that she had visited Mount Moriah Cemetery in Deadwood, South Dakota. Along the way she picked up some clover and grass from Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane's grave site. Now ... one might wonder why someone would think to do that. It didn't strike me as unusual at all. My mother picked clover on her trip to Ireland. I myself have little jars of sand from favorite beaches I visited. I know someone who has volcanic ash from Hawaii. We all have a reason for what we do. Face it people if I ever get to the rose bowl parade ... I am nailing me a rose petal. Well anyway Donna asked could I somehow preserve the clover and being a book lover a bookmark was the way to go. Now I know I am being long winded but here is the point. Wild Bill Hickok was a name I knew, I mean I heard over the years. I knew he was some dude from somewhere west. OK so I knew absolutely nothing about the man. Or that Jane woman either. But now after making this bookmark I'm here to tell you all that I can hold my own any day, anytime, in a Wild Bill trivia contest. It was great. From the internet getting all the pictures to make the graphic I visited the current Municipal website, along with the cemetery's website and the local Adams Museum website. I had a blast even before I started the project. My point in all of this is crafting is more than just the act of art and assembly. It can take you to a place where you might not otherwise go. And my thanks to Donna for this project. I learned so much about America in the 1870's and about the Gold Rush too. I am looking forward to making the Calamity Jane bookmark next. Thanks for visiting.
Lysa
ps - Did I mention she picked wildflowers from the feet of the Jolly Green Giant!!! Literally!

1 comment:

  1. Once again you are the girl & a genius know doubt. I can get over how great the bookmarker came out I am so proud to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete